SIMPLE LIFESTYLE CHANGES TO BECOME A BETTER YOU
Every year we all come up with resolutions that we want to keep but halfway through the year (sometimes sooner) we start to fall back into old habits. Trust me, this is something that I have tried and tested many New Years resolutions ago. This year, well at the end of 2016, I decided to start my resolution earlier than most people do.
I’ve made a lifestyle choice, and as early as now it’s already paying off. Not only do my clothes fit better but I’ve become much more energetic and at the same time, RELAXED. Which is a definite win for me because if you know me, I am so uptight and well, kind of dramatic. Switching up or changing your lifestyle isn’t just about dieting or going back to the gym for the nth time, it’s something that you should do as a whole. May it be by changing your outlook on life, creating certain expectations or just deciding to take things on with a different approach. Here are some of the changes that I’ve applied to my daily activities to make sure that I live a stress free life.
- MAKE YOUR BED IN THE MORNING AND DON’T LIE BACK DOWN – Why is this important? Because this is what jumpstarts my day. If I don’t do this first step my day automatically turns into a slump. Yes, I have a kasambahay that can do this for me, but it’s a personal space for me and I would rather do it on my own. I always used to just stay in bed all day and not get anything done, so now I make it a habit that once I wake up, I get up, I make my bed and get out of my room and do my daily chores. Which is already a couple of things that gets checked off of my list.
- TRY TO WORKOUT IN THE MORNING IF YOUR SCHEDULE PERMITS IT – I used to dread the day that I would have to go to the gym, it wasn’t a must for me, it was a struggle. I would always schedule my classes for the afternoon or night time which was actually just me putting it off. When I switched it up and started going in the morning instead I noticed that I actually had more energy throughout the day and mentally I was pretty calmed down because I knew that I had that checked off of my to do list and I had nothing to dread at the end of my day, instead it became something that I looked forward to doing the next day.
- MEAL PREP or MAKE BETTER EATING CHOICES – I love to cook, and I would rather do this than eat out because at least I know what actually goes into my food. When I have a lot of time on my hands I prep all my meals (breakfast, lunch, snacks and dinner) for the next day and I store it in a cute little lunch box for me to tote around, when I’m not able to do this I don’t deprive myself from eating in restaurants, instead, I make healthier choices. Like a couple of days ago, after my workout it was time to have lunch, instead of heading down to Wildflour to eat my heart out I decided to go to Juju Eats which was right across from it and just grab a simple salad. Which was a good choice, because I didn’t waste my workout and I was full and energized from my simple little salad!
- MAKE A TO DO LIST AND STICK WITH IT – With everything I did, I used to just wing it, which has landed me in some pretty sticky situations. For example, if I would go to the grocery without a list I would end up buying all this unnecessary junk which left me with a bigger tummy and a hole in my pocket. Another example was when I decided not prepare ahead, I had a list in my mind but since I didn’t write it all down I had the tendency to forget what I had to do while I was out and I would remember it once I was home already, which lead to me to almost missing a very important meeting. Nowadays, I make lists for everything I do and the feeling of sticking by it and completing all the tasks that you set for the day leaves me pretty happy and content. Which means, I did a good job that day.
- DRINK LOTS OF WATER – You hear and see this everywhere, in articles, from your trainer, heck, your mom reminds you to do this too. What really helped me was bringing around a tumbler for me to store my water in and adding a slice of lemon so that whenever I get cravings I just take a sip of my lemon water and my cravings seem to go away.
- DRESS TO IMPRESS YOURSELF AND NOT OTHERS – Confidence is key, and sometimes putting on a nice dress and fixing your hair helps with that. Whenever I’m having a bad day I just put on something cute and I automatically feel better. I know it sounds so materialistic, but sometimes when you feel sluggish and ugly all you gotta do is spruce up your look and it’ll add a boost to your confidence and ego which shifts your mindset and brings you back to a happy place.
Honestly, you can do all these things but they won’t work if you aren’t kind to yourself and for me that’s the most important step in making a lifestyle change. Being a better version of yourself isn’t something that you can just do overnight, it’s a daily process and you will have struggles in between your good days but you just have to find a way to get back up and continue with your journey. When you slip, and you will, don’t beat yourself up over it. Take everything as a learning experience and just do better next time. I didn’t want to wait for 2017 to come before I made a change, why wait when you can start now? Just because we’re almost 2 weeks into the new year doesn’t mean its too late to make yours.